Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Birthdays and Babies

Today was a crazy cool day! We had a family celebration of Josh's birthday and also enjoyed our newest addition to the family - Torie AnnMarie Rivera! So, we celebrated 7 years of a little life, and 3.5 weeks! On September 29th, Sophia turns 4 and on October 2nd Kaylie turns 7 so this is birthday season!
We had super yummy cake made by Auntie Julie, and lots of presents some from home and some sent all the way from California! Josh says thanks mom and Aunt Wanda, Uncle Don, Heather and Allie!!!! He was so excited to see the packages. He counted his presents, they totaled 16.


He actually received 18 action figures from Spiderman 3, Transformers, Star Wars, and Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer. If you know Josh, you know he can play with these action figures for hours and hours! We jokingly were saying that he'll be busy for at least a year with these toys!
Below you see him reading a letter while holding the cell phone up by his mouth. This is a letter sent from his mom. It was the sweetest letter, and he read it with such inflection. He didn't much care about the $20 attached. He love the letter most of all.
I can't believe he's seven!! I met Josh when he was barely three. He was a booger of all boogers with a temper that could make milk curdle. Funny thing is, that little booger has turned into such a kind respectful helpful young man who loves Jesus. He is often heard telling the other kids, "Don't fight because that makes God sad." He also tells Zack and Sophia how God and Jesus live in heaven. He points to the clouds and tells them that God can walk on them, and some day they can too if they have Jesus in their heart. He always ends the conversation with, "Wave to God." "Tell Him you love him." With that they wave towards the sky and each says, "I love you God." "I love you Jesus."
You see Josh is a deep thinker, and He functions primarily on logic. Every ounce of training or teaching that his mom does with him sinks in as long as it is based upon logic. The logic he's found in the love of God and God's plan for us to experience joy has really changed his little life even at the young age of seven. And, he's already become a missionary in our home!!
I happy I was able to share his birthday with him and also so glad Gina gets to come out on September 28th which is when we'll celebrate his birthday again! Lucky boy he is, and he knows it!

One special present Josh LOVED was getting to hold his newest cousin - Torie. He was so gentle with her and kind. She didn't mind a bit being in his arms. He watched her intently and talked to her so softly. She cooed a bit and tooted!
Then we played musical baby because all of the kids were chomping at the bit to hold her! We all have been waiting so eagerly to meet her! I love the one of Sophia holding her because check out Zack! He couldn't stand the fact that the baby crying meant Sophia may drop her!!!


Then we have my fav pic of Mike and Torie. There is just something about a great big strong guy holding and adoring a wee one! He melted in her arms, and yes, he was the one melting! An,d then there is the Stephanie and Torie pic! Stephanie would not let her go and was the first to change her diaper! :) She LOVED every minute of it!
My mom and sister and niece will be here until early Sunday morning. I realize that I miss them a lot more than I had even felt I missed them!!!! And, holding Torie is the most wonderful joy in the world. I am so glad my sister, Victoria, created this precious addition to our family. She is going to be SPOILED, SPOILED, SPOILED. She is also going to be WATCHED closely. She will have Kenny, Josh, and Zack keeping an eye on her for the rest of her life! They're moving here soon so she will be part of our day to day life, and that will be cool!
However, we do joke about Kaylie, Sophia and Torie partying together one day. Their ages are staggered enough that they will be 21, 18, and 14. I have a feeling we might be right... This is when we'll really need little preacher Josh to take the lead. He'll be 21 too! Oh my, prayers are in order!

5 comments:

anita said...

number one!!!!

yay pics no need for words lol

i want a piece of that cake

Gina Marie said...

I am a little tired from Justin's concert last night, but I LOVE the pictures! Thanks for putting he one of Josh reading the letter I sent - that was a very heartwarming moment and I loved it!

Everyone looks great! Mike especially looks so melted! The pic of Stepha and Torie makes Torie look more like Victoria, too.

LOVE IT!

Elizabeth B said...

Great pics! I loved the ones of the kids holding Torie. Cappy Birthday to the kidos!

I agree with Heather - that cake looked awesome!

allie said...

the pictures arent showing up for me. =/ my computer at school is wack! but anywaysss! tell josh HAPPY BIRTHDAYYY! (and jeff helped pick his presents out.)

DeanaMarie said...

Jeff is a very good present picker!!!