Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Dark Knight


Yesterday we went to see The Dark Knight, and it was a great movie. Well, I should add that there are likely many parents who would not take their six year old son to see it, BUT, I pretty much know what is scary to Zack and what is not. I did my research and decided that since he knows the Joker is just a pretend character that he'd be fine, and he was just fine. He loved the movie, and I don't want to ruin the end of the movie for you who have not seen it, but suffice it to say that the movie caused Zack to ask some great questions. I had no sitter so I took Sophia too and we cuddled throughout the movie. She was unscathed as well because of all of the super hero play she's done with the boys for the last year! Judge me if you must but from afar, please. :)

Anyhow, the movie does have violence, but there is no blood and guts. I don't recommend it for kids who struggle with nightmares or fear in general. Honestly, I think most of the movie goes over the kids' heads. They just like to see Batman and The Joker go at it.

Food for thought: There was a line in the movie that hit home for me. It went something like this... Sometimes people don't need the truth. Rather, they need to be able to have faith in something or someone.

I have been stewing over this concept. I know it's an ethical question, but what do you think? Does the truth always need to be spoken or is it okay for someone to spare others the truth so they can have the benefits that faith brings????? The best example I can give is allowing my kids to believe in Santa. I know he's not real, but the joy they get from believing is so sweet. Thoughts?

No comments: