Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

I've heard it said that the mother is the Holy Spirit of the home; that her mood controls the mood of the entire clan. That never meant much to me prior to going through some tough times while being a mom! My kiddos are so in tune with where I am emotionally that it isn't funny. They pick up on tiny things and quickly run to my "rescue". Kind of made me feel that today I owed them a card and some candy! But alas, no lectures on how it is very bad for kids to have to feel they need to emotionally care for their parents, okay? I get that.

Today was a good day. Zack and Sophia gifted me with some pretty awesome sentimental stuff! Each had hand chosen a card for me, and each was so unique to that child! Zack's was in Spanish and on front was the "Virgin" Mary. He insisted I would find the woman to be very beautiful! She looked much like posters I'd seen in Russia so this card is very precious to me. He was so proud. Sophia got me the cutest Care Bears card that sings, "You're the best mommy in the world," and she sang along with it as you who know her can imagine!

Zack also gave me a potted Marigold which brought back fond memories of when I planted flowers each season! He also gave me a framed painting of his hand with a heart on it which stands for us being best friends forever. He must have told me 100 times today that he loved me! That was cool, and I know it was because of the special day and not because he was feeling insecure or like he needed to make me happy (newly learned info). So, it was special.

Sophia gave me the cutest handmade card with her hand on it as well. All of the gifts are super special to me as they are the first handmade Mother's Day gifts I've received from the kiddos.

On the way home tonight, my conversation went something like this:

Sophia: Mom we can't eat apples from the trees.
Mom: (thinking what the heck) Oh really?
Sophia: Yes, because they will make you sick.
Mom: Who told you that?
Sophia: My church and my school.
Mom: Oh, like Adam and Eve.
Sophia: YES!
Zack: Great Sophia, now you told the end of the story, and mom hasn't even read it yet!

I was cracking up! What knuckle heads they are! These two kids bless my heart so much. I love them to the core. I am happy to report, however, that a friend reminded me today that this whole childhood thing is temporal, and one day they'll fly on their own. Makes me sad, but it keeps me grounded. And, really it wouldn't be fair to my kids if I made them the center of my universe - they are just a little off center leaving room to share with my true love who is out there somewhere wishing upon a star or ummmm, sitting in a car...or maybe a bar...or perhaps thinking of me from afar??? Who knows?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That little story made me laugh out loud. Kids are so cute in their thinking. Happy Mother's Day to you!!