Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Updated at 7:00PM Monday



All of these pics were taken after the surgery when Zack was on the Morphine. So, here you see a drugged up pirate!

Today was the day for Zack to have his circumcision. It was amazing how it worked out. My first appt as some of you know was not a success. The doc was totally anti-circumcision and from the minute I walked through his door, he was giving me 100 excuses why NOT to have the procedure done. So surprise, surprise he wrote it up as PURELY COSMETIC (not true), and the insurance denied it! So, I called the pediatrician and requested another referral. I got one and waited an entire month to get an appt.

I took Zack to the new doc's office on Monday at 10:30AM, and voila, the insurance approved it on Tuesday, and we were at the hospital this morning having the procedure done. What a blessing it was to get this taken care of so quickly, but let me tell you, I NEVER want to live through it again!!!! I think it was harder on me than on him!

He was a brave pirate this morning! Why pirate? Well, Wanda and I went shopping last night and bought him some toys so he would have something to look forward to after the surgery. We bought him a Captain Jack Sparrow hat with the hair attached, a gun, sword, handcuffs and Pirates of the Caribbean pajamas. This morning he actually wore the costume and had all the trinkets with him so he was all geared up. The hospital staff gave him his new name, "Captain Zack Sparrow"!!!! He was all smiles.

He wasn't upset until he came out of surgery and was waking up from the anesthesia. He was SOBBING and in a ton of pain. So, after that came three doses of morphine. He threw up twice on the way home, but other than that is just super groggy. I expect that when the morphine wears off, he will be in pain again. I have to take the bandage off at 3:00PM - NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT!

So supposedly he'll be better in three days and completely healed in a week. We shall see. I'll keep ya'll updated as able. Just in case any of you PAPs out there need to go through this some day with your own sons!

I'll post pics soon of Captain Zack Sparrow!

UPDATE: The removal of the bandage was HORRIBLE. Imagine a kid in the worst pain you can imagine, a teary mom apologizing profusely, and the loud wailing of a little boy. I removed it as gently as possible, but it still cause a HUGE amount of pain for the little guy.

When he looked at it earlier, he told me that the doctor made it bigger! I was like what a dude. Then after the bandage came off he looked at me like, "What the heck did that doctor do to me"????

I gave him Tylenol with Codeine and after an hour of pain, he finally fell fast asleep. He is sleeping now and will likely be naked for a few days! If you think about it, please pray for the little guy. I have to go back to work tomorrow which stinks royally! Steph will stay close to him and make sure he is comfy and medicated as necessary.

This has been an emotional roller coaster. I wish I could say I was strong through the whole thing, but seeing him wheeled away to surgery broke my heart, seeing him come out made me cry, and hearing him wail hurt my soul!!! Oh my, and this is just the beginning of motherhood! The good thing is that Zack has been super clingy to me. He held me for hours as we lay in bed watchin Cartoon Network together - that is another post! What a HORRIBLE channel!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

He IS a brave little pirate!! It was so great to see him this morning. I'm glad it's over for him and that it worked out so well with the new doc. You are a great mom and are taking wonderful care of him.

By the way, with all the fighting that goes on with the postings here, I'm excited to say that I beat Gina! Boo-ya!

Liz B

Anonymous said...

What a brave pirate mom you are!! It will be fun to watch Zach's reaciton when he is about 14 when we remind him that his twig and berries were a great topic of conversation for the ladies at the credit union!! LOL!! :)

Anonymous said...

to liz you want in the fighting you got it hahaha

Anonymous said...

a drugged up pirate wow he really does wanna be exactly like captin jack sparrow lol

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather - I said the same thing to Liz! BRING IT ON - THE COMPETITION HAS BEGUN! You know what you have to do Heather!

Zack is a dear and Deana is an awesome mom - there's just nothing else to say!

Anonymous said...

gina- i know what i have to do...liz watch out lol

Anonymous said...

He looks so tiny in the hospital bed! What a trooper!

Bring it on, Gina and Heather!

Liz B

Anonymous said...

oh its on haha

Anonymous said...

does my little zack need some kisses kisses?

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh i just spelled my own name wrong...how gay!ahaha

Anonymous said...

allie is a loser she can't even spell her own name

Gina Marie said...

I am glad you did the procedure, Deana. You haven't mentioned the infections and issues involved, nor the fact that Zack was truly in pain before the surgery. While I am sure this has been VERY difficult for you to see the pain in his eye, long term this was the best thing for him.

Anonymous said...

So, when do we get to hear about Cartoon Network? Can't wait to hear about what you watched, and what's Zack's favorite.

You're an awesome Mom just for watching it with him!

Liz B

Anonymous said...

It’s very difficult to see our children go through difficult circumstances but when it’s for their ultimate good we do it. Years from now this will be but a vague memory. The part he will remember and will stay in his heart forever will be of you holding him and taking care of him. You’re an awesome mom D.

Anonymous said...

ANYONE WHO HAS SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO SAY TO DEANA, PLEASE HAVE THE GUTS TO LEAVE YOUR FREAKING NAME!!!!

"YOU WHO HAVE NOT SINNED, CAST THE FIRST STONE!"

DeanaMarie said...

Oh my word such drama! How exciting!

Too bad this isn't a debate blog but rather just a blog for friends and family to keep up on the happenings of life with Z and S.

It is all to unfortunate that some people who have no rights to an opinion in this matter have been drinking on the HATER JUICE.

Next post may be equally as offensive to some...stay tuned!