Saturday, May 26, 2007

Happy Memorial Day!



Well, I have decided that the next best thing to having family leave is getting a day off for a holiday soon after!!! I am so excited to have Monday off with the kiddos! Gina was kind enough to take a couple of pics with me in them today! I have made some final decisions regarding the pics for their "announcement" cards, and I will be sending them out next week some time. If you would like one let me know! If I work with you, I'll deliver it. If I don't know your address, feel free to send it to me via email at dmrgirl85@yahoo, and I'll happily send you one so you can have it as a reminder of the miracles God does when we are willing to step out in faith.

I have thought much about the "stepping out in faith" part of adopting Zack and Sophia. Sometimes when I look at it all on paper, it seems like an insane venture. I wonder how I got through all of the paperwork and "Russian hoops." I wonder how God will pave the path ahead of us. I wonder where He'll lead us, and how He'll care for us. Faith is a cool thing. It is so invisible yet made up of so many tangible pieces.

When I look into Zack and Sophia's eyes and see them smiling from their very souls, I am reminded of the burden of emptiness they carried when I first met them. I am often reminded of the blank stare Sophia had. She seemed so void of feeling - so afraid to smile. And, Zack eager to see me but clearly so apprehensive filled with the fear that I wouldn't return for him. Now, those fears are gone and that burden has been lifted. They can smile instead of carrying the weight of the world.

As I seek to carry that weight for them, I covet your prayers. I want to be the best mom I can be. I want to give them a well rounded upbringing. I want them to love with all of their hearts and to live for Christ and as a byproduct experience true joy.

I have never before noticed how much marketing is geared towards children! Within two weeks, my kids knew Sponge Bob, Dora, Shrek, The Incredibles, Spider Man, Superman and Hello Kitty to name a few. I realized this as I would walk through the market, and they would yell out the names of these American characters. They would want the crackers, cookies or cereal just because of the picture. Well, to be fair these pictures are even on yogurt and string cheese now!

This is not a huge issue for me, however, it definitely made me very aware of the influences that creep in unexpected. I'm not one to say no to cartoons or to throw out the television, but I am one who wants my kids not to be controlled by the media.

What brings me joy is not the tube teaching them English. It is the sound of the harmonica Sophia is playing right now. It is the sight of Zack finishing a 300 piece puzzle. It is a colored page; a sand castle built; a splash in the pool; a kiss on the cheek; the hug of an uncle; the snuggle from grandma; the tickle from an auntie. Kids are kids for such a short time. I hope to protect that as much as I can while enabling them to be socially skilled.

Oh, the wonder of it all. I could go on and on today. It is just one of those thinking kind of days.

In the words of Zack and Sophia, "See joo later"!

12 comments:

Gina Marie said...

Gina #1 here again....

Lovely pictures, lovely decision to adopt, and I totally think the photographer rocks!

Anonymous said...

gina...shut up lol its not fair you live with the girl of course you know when she gunna post a new blog

anyways the kids look cute as always i love how sophia always has bows in her hair

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and the pics are always great (today the pics have a special quality, not sure why. LOL)

We serve a loving God that wants only the best for his children. I am reminded of that every time I read your blog and see the miracle that is your lovely family.

You’ve lived through almost three years of stories about my kids. Know it is my privilege to hear the cute and the nail biting stories about your kids. Your a great mom D.

Anonymous said...

wait wait my momma been telling you stories about us? wat she been telling you???

Anonymous said...

I would love an announcement!

Anonymous said...

I prayed for you through the adoption process and will continue to hold you up in prayer. As you already know, your life has changed but God has not. I pray for you as a mother and as a woman of faith. I know there have been and will continue to be many adjustments to your life, I pray for God's guidance and wisdom in the days ahead. RF

Anonymous said...

yea i wanna annoucement thingy to

Deb said...

What a beautiful post. Faith is so important in this journey.
You're doing a great job. Those 2 kids are so blessed to have you as their mom.

Anonymous said...

ok so my mommy said i had to leave you like 3 comment or something to get an annoucement thingy.

so here is comment #1

Anonymous said...

comment #2







you have hte prettiest kids everrrrr.
well next to jimmy and becca and daniel.

Anonymous said...

comment #3






hahahha as im writing this my mommy is asleep on the couch.
and heather is standing like 2 cm away from her. hahhahahahhaha. just thought id let ya no.

Anonymous said...

D, you are a great mom. Those kids have acclimated well with your family. I would love an announcement. I'm continuing to pray for all of you.

Jen T.