Saturday, July 29, 2006

Gina? I've got to stop saving my passwords on my laptop!


I just finished reading Gina's blog! Boy, she really does do her research! She has found much of the information I found over the past 5 years as I was praying over this endeavor. It is an awakening experience to acknowledge the dispair with which these children deal. It is easy to filter things through our American way of life and form our opinion based primarily upon our own experiences growing up in and being churched in this great country. I would suggest that this way of thinking is very limiting. And, one must remember, that even the Bible cannot be solely interpreted according to American norms. Jesus never lived here. He never wore Nikes. He never graced the door of a Starbucks. When we read the Bible, we travel in our mind to Israel, Jericho, Ninevah, Tarsus, Egypt... When you read about or think about Russian orphans, you must travel in your mind to Russia.

There is a great big world out there that is foreign to us; a world that is not run by our democratic process; a world that is not centered on God's Holy Word; a world that does not share our wealth. It is out in that world that children know pain that we could NEVER imagine. This is why I want to challenge each of you to read more about the issue before making a judgement of any sort. Once you have read both the Scripture and also the facts on the situation in Russia, ask God what you might do to help.

You see there is no need to read on my behalf. I have done so and no negative feedback from fellow Christians could convince me that God is leading me astray. He has providentially asked me to step in and help. First, I will bring 1 or 2 orphans into my home where they will be loved, nurtured, and taught about the depth of the love of Christ. Second, I will seek ways to support the orphans left behind. And, third, and perhaps most important, I will pray for all of the children, the ones I bring home and those that are left behind. I will pray that more than 1% of them will be adopted. I will pray that someone will save them from a dsimal future. What I won't do is pray that orphans be kept in orphanges unless a perfect family unit seeks to adopt them. That, my friend, is ludicrous. God is not limited by our humanity! It is in our weakness that He shows His strength!

I should give one disclaimer. I have heard of only 1 fellow Christian who has boldly stated that a single woman adopting an orphan is unethical. This feedback did not upset me in any way. It just made me realize a little more how Noah felt when he was building the ark. He just kept building, and I will do the same.

No comments: