Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Waiting List


In Russia, many people including the officials take 60-90 days off work in the summer. This type of hiatus is common in some European countries as well. In Russia, I would imagine that having some extended time off when there is no ice and snow would be helpful!

Due to this 60-90 day hiatus, the government offices are pretty much closed for service. During this 60-90 days which began in June, those of us preparing to adopt continue to be busy bees getting our paperwork completed, notarized and in some cases astopilled. We work as though everything is still moving on that side of the ocean. Well, this in unless your paperwork was completed by June 1st. Then this 60 days becomes VERY long as you wait.

During these 60-90 days, a list begins forming of those waiting to adopt. In my case, the waiting list for Omsk is 6 families long. This means that once the reaccreditation is received, I will be 7th in line. I started getting a bit bummed about this because the agency is only able to send 1 family a week to meet their children. Tick tock, tick tock is what I began hearing. And, there are many others whose clocks have been tick tocking much more loudly than mine. Why is it that the ticking of the clock goes so slow when we are waiting???

I was bummed until I realized that in the past 60+ days, ONLY 6 families have gotten their names on the waiting list to adopt a baby from Omsk. There are 180+ babies in the three little Omsk baby houses, and only 6 families are in line ahead of me. Most of them are adopting one which seems to be the sane way to go! That means of 180 babies, 8 have families waiting to take them home. That thought is humbling. I pray that the Lord lay it on more hearts to save the little ones and to adopt them as He has adopted us.

Now, I know it is a calling so I am by no means trying to make anyone feel guilty. I am just sharing my thoughts and dreams. As I wait, I grow...

So, do you think we could finagle a way to get 60-90 days off???!!!!

No comments: