Thursday, May 21, 2009

Working Hard to get ready for 1st grade!

Sophia's teacher has suggested she be retained in kindergarten. Her mama disagrees for many many reasons. I have put my teacher hat back on and in two days time, have taught her to create words from a word bank.

This is her "thinking cap". She puts it on when she needs to get her brain in gear. The cap is MAGIC! I used this technique when I taught 1st grade, and the kids loved it. It was amazing what they could do with a magic cap on their heads!

You can see all over her face how successful she is feeling! I dictated all of the words you see, and she pulled from the letter bank to create them. That is HUGE progress in 3 days! Her teacher actually told me she only knew the sound of 1/26 letters! I knew that wasn't the case. I think she freezes for Mrs. Tobin. Mrs. Tobin also said she couldn't sound out one syllable words. That isn't the case anymore. I am determined to work with her all summer to get her to where she needs to be at this new school! At her old school, there was no danger of her being held back. The standards were SO MUCH lower! I'm not going to let them punish her for the shortcomings in the CA public school system.


The next thing I want to get is a Victory Drill Book. If anyone has one laying around, let me know!

Sophia is very driven and responsible. There isn't a lazy bone in her body. If any of that weren't true, I might rethink holding her back. Her little personality has the makeup of a kid who will eventually do well in school. If not, her best will do!!!

1 comment:

ko said...

Hi,
Try Bob books! Klaire loved them and you can sound out every word at the beginning! With a little help she will be on her way! You could also cut out little objects from magazines and she has to spell the word and give her word families. (I have alot if you want to e-mail me!) That is how they do it in Montessori. Try googling moveable alphabet (montessori) and it might pop up with some help. Just e-mail and I can send you some I have too....hope to help. Keep it up! You know your child best! Believe me I know!
Kristin